Sunday 22 May 2011

Korean Thanksgiving Day (Chuseok)


   My favorite holiday is Korean Thanksgiving Day. We call “Chuseok”. It is our most important holiday. Chuseok is August 15 on the lunar calendar. Before Chuseok, we have to cut the grass for grave of our ancestor. We must hold the Chuseok ceremony in homage to our ancestors, and then We visit our family graves. In the old times we have to wear Hanbok on Chuseok, but Nowadays some people are wearing Hanbok. Hanbok is traditional clothes of Korean. Also on Chuseok, we eat special rice cake called “Song-Pyun”. Song-Pyun is half-moon shaped and stuffed with honey, been, and sesame seeds, so it is delicious. At Chuseok, we played Gang-gang-sul-rae under the full moon.
At Chuseok, there is heavy traffic on the expressways, but I like this holiday because I can meet my family.  

<P.s : First picture is the memorial service table. second picture is Song-Pyun. Third picture is traditional clothes of Korean "Hanbok".>

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ki Jin,
    It is an interesting topic.
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know about Chuseok because it's in the Speaking/Listening 3 textbook! It sounds somewhat similar to Thanksgiving in Canada, but we don't wear any special clothes at that time.

    Corrections:
    We must hold the Chuseok ceremony in homage to our ancestors, and then we visit our family graves.

    At Chuseok, there is heavy traffic on the expressways, but I like this holiday because I can meet my family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice City

    I hope someday go to your City

    ReplyDelete